Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Remembering Whitney

As a child, I grew up listening to all types of music.  My mother's 8-track/record player blared out the smooth sounds of Luther Vandross, while my sister's radio played the sweet sounds of Soul II Soul.  I, a Millennial or Gen Y child, learned to appreciate the various musical talents of those who sang so beautifully on my mother and sister's sound systems.  Some of these artists included greats such as Michael JacksonTeddy Pendegrass, and of course Whitney Houston.  There was something about Whitney's voice that entered into my spirit so easily.  It was as if a piece of me was missing that I did not realize until she sang her beautiful songs.  Though I was not at the age in which I could relate to the songs on a personal level, I knew that something inside of me wanted to understand the feelings involved in those songs.  I wanted someone to run to and love me.  I wanted to feel The Greatest Love of All because I was the future.  I wanted someone to always love.  I wanted to feel just as Whitney did as she creatively exposed her talents to catchy rhythmic tunes.




Whitney, thank you so much for giving us a piece of you.  We all know that life comes with many temptations; therefore we refrain from judging you on life's lessons that we may or may not have had the privilege of understanding.  Judging others is the easy part.  The hard part is accepting people for their downfall and moving forward in helping them overcome their situation.  We love you and will miss your lovely voice.

No comments:

Post a Comment