Sunday, July 3, 2011

Enjoy Yourself!

Hey there!

I know it has been quite some time since I was last on here; however I have been very busy. Busy as a bee they say. Before I get into all the details of my activies, I want to wish you a happy 4th of July weekend. Make sure you enjoy this time with friends, family, and the ones you love. Also, please be safe. I will be spending today at a cookout with my family. I am looking forward to the food, family, and fun.

National Black Book Festival Update
So as you may recall, last month I went to the National Black Book Festival. The event was held from June 10th to June 12th in Houston, Texas. This was my first time attending the event, so I chose not to participate as an author. I wanted to get a feel of what was going on and how I should approach the event next year. I met so many notable authors; one being Nakia R. Laushaul. This young lady was quite energetic and you could tell she enjoyed writing. I just had to purchase her book "The Truth As I See It." Nakia's writing caught me off guard when I read pg. 134 of her book titled "I Hope Your Ear Falls Off." The title was different from anything I had seen and I wanted to find out more about the content. In reading this portion of the book, I could relate to a lot of things she was discribing regarding gossip and practicing the skill of listening more. Since I had basically started to read her book from back to front, I decided to go through the front of the book and read more. I found myself liking more of her work, such as: Aspire and 5 W's and How: A Reality Check. I was definitely glad that I bought her book. Good luck Nakia and keep progressing to a better you!

My next table stop took me in the view of a good friend and sorority sister, Alicia Wiggins. Alicia smiled and embraced me, as my friend and I admired her table. I definitely had to buy a book. I chose to buy "A Place Like Home" because I already had the other book placed on her table. Alicia was very positive and enjoyed the various contact she had made at the event. I wish Alicia nothing but success also!

Before leaving the event to explore downtown Houston, I stopped and admired all the beautiful jewelry in the hallways. I just knew I would purchase something; however decided against it because I did not include jewelry in my budget. My friend and I chose to stay in the downtown area, seeing that we did not have transporation at our immediate disposal. In our navigation of the downtown area, we went to the Houston Pavilion. There, we questioned the line of people that spewed from Pete's Dueling Piano Bar. An employee told us that the company was about to complete a live taping of a karaoke show. The same employee motioned us to get in line and participate in the event. After waiting in line for over an hour, we were told that we would not be able to attend the event because the show was over capacity. Although we really wanted to go to the event, we did not let it get to us. We continued our navigation of the city and the book festival.

Upcoming Events
What type of person would I be without updating you about my upcoming events? Not a very informative one. Well here they are! Feel free to tune in, attend, or respond to these events.

Interview on ArtistFirst.com
Tuesday, July 26th at 7 pm
Please tune in and ask questions

It's A Celebration of Books!
Columbus Metropolitan Library
Saturday, August 27th at 1 pm

College/University event
more information coming soon!

Please email me at MelicaNiccole@gmail.com for more information.

Have a blessed Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment