Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Michigan was a Success!

This past weekend, I attended the Michigan International Book Festival. I was so excited at this opportunity and even more excited that my niece was attending with me. This would be a great time for me to help mold her in going after her dreams and also observe her people skills. Our morning started at 5 am on Saturday morning. We had a 3.5 hour drive ahead of us and needed to get on the road by 6 am. We packed the car with books, marketing materials, and our clothes. We definitely would be staying the night in Michigan; otherwise the drive back would be horrendous.

In me driving to Michigan for the first time, I possibly made my niece a little nervous. She was asleep in the passenger's seat, as I continually looked at the directions to make sure I was following them exactly. All of sudden my mind thought, "did I miss something?" I must have missed something because there was a split coming up fast and I needed to make a quick decision. I chose the option to the right, which immediately woke her up. "What's wrong," she stated. I told her that I got off the freeway because I thought I needed to; however it was evident that I needed to get back on. She laughed and said "Oh." I thought to myself, "just my luck to scare the poor child, on our first trip out of town with each other." After that incident, I was fine. It was all good after my mishap.

The driving directions led us directly to the event and to our hotel. It was 9:30 am and the earliest we could check in was at 11 am. We chose to check in for the event because the festival would begin at 10 am. As one of the assistants searched for my name badge, I said to my niece "what if they do not have me registered as attending?" I laughed because it was a thought that crossed my mind; driving all the way to Michigan and not being able to participate because someone had lost my registration. Well, that was not the case at all. The assistant found my badge and stated I should wait for the Event Coordinator, who would then help me locate my table.

After the Event Coordinator assisted us with the location of my table, it was on then; our selling techniques of course. We decorated the table and then started talking to any and everyone that came in distance of hearing what we had to say. I told my niece that our objective was to not let anyone leave the table empty handed. I wanted people to leave with a book, contact information, promotional bag, or something with my name on it. We talked to everyone, had people sign up for our email listing, and only let two to three people leave the table without something in their hand. It was a great day, if I must say. It got even better when Janet Jackson, the Oakland County Commissioner stopped by our table. She stated that she absolutely loved the table set up and that we were implementing some great marketing techniques. We were also paid a visit by Authors, Cassandra Carter and Sylvia Hubbard. I wish both of these women nothing but success. Ladies, keep pushing and selling inspiration in the form of books.

After attending this event, I only have one more thing left to say, which is I love it!

No comments:

Post a Comment