Monday, September 10, 2012

"So Fly" by Elle Varner

 

“I can’t help bein’ depressed 
When I look down at my chest
Oh yes my chest it might as well be non-existent 
How can I ever compete
With 34 DDs
And I’m rolling my eyes
When I look down at my thighs
They might as well take everything that I eat
To my legs”
 
Elle Varner sings this catch tune about being insecure with her body type.  She even goes as far as saying that if she was minus the “cellulite with big breast and pockets full of money, she would be so fly.”  After those comments and looking at a few of Elle Varner’s pictures, you can’t help but wonder where all of this is coming from.  Well as teenagers and young adults, many of us have imagined the same thoughts, spoke the same words, and believed the same fallacies.  If only we could pick and choose our body type, hand select our facial features, and look in the mirror and see a beautiful young woman or man standing before us.
 
Elle continues the song by saying:
 
“Now listen
I got a beautiful soul
But only four people know
They’ve known me since I was ten
Beauty did not matter then
Now in my 20s
All that matters
Is sex, cars, and money
I ain’t got none of the three
So basically I’m invisible to all of the fellas”
 
I viewed the second portion of the song as Elle still being concerned with what others thought beauty should be and living by the defined standards of society.  The defined standards of society does not always lead to a continued path down the same road, sometimes people follow that road in order to define their own standards.  Elle shows exactly this in the next portion of the song, which states:
 
“So basically all I need
Is to be everything but me
Colored contacts
Liposuction
And some Implants
Somehow that don’t make much sense
I must be out of my head
If I think
That I am governed by material things”
 
In the last portion of the song, Elle defines her own definition of fly and states “don’t go believin’ the hype.  There’s no runway in the sky.  And no way you can be fly.  Not if it costs you a dime.”  I absolutely love this song.  I liked the way it transitioned to from I'm not fly to I'm going to create my own definition of fly. 
 
~Have you had your dose of "So Fly" today?
 
 
  
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment