Sunday, April 6, 2014

Unsung, But Work Highly Recognized

Cooley High (1975) Poster
Picture from IMDB
Yesterday, I had the pleasure of watching an amazing movie that I watched in my childhood; Cooley High. What a magnificent movie? In watching the movie there are so many lessons that can be learned. Personally, I learned about the effects of skipping school and wanting to have fun. In others watching the movie, they could have learned about staying motivated and not giving up on their dreams. My personal belief is that school or continued education provides a way for us to enlighten ourselves, which would assist in us accomplishing our dreams.

Today, TVOne showed Cooley High on UnSung (Hollywood). I was excited to learn more about the characters and the writer, Eric Monte. Interesting things I gained from the show was that the people on set were like family, the guys who played “gangstas” were real, and Eric took his family with him to Hollywood. The unfortunate part that I found out about was that Eric was not paid his fair share for writing the movie (Imagine that) and that other great shows were developed from Cooley or using the writer’s suggestions, such as: The Jefferson’s, What’s Happening, Good Times, and Sanford andSon. Eric sued ABC and CBS for “Stealing his ideas for Good Times, The Jeffersons, and What’s Happening.”

Eric is now said (TVOne) to live in Colorado.

~Best wishes to Eric and his further endeavors 



No comments:

Post a Comment