Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Hatred: A Technique Used to Control and Discredit People

Let’s review the word hatred, to give you a better understanding of what we are dealing with. Merriam-Webster.com defines hatred as prejudice, hostility, or animosity. So in other words, someone or a group have displayed bitterness or some type of ill will toward another person or group. This word has been around for many years and by the looks of things, it’s not going anywhere. Hatred is sometimes rooted within the family. The family plays a big role in a child’s growth and development. The family is the foundation of why people act a certain way. Sometimes, we as people, look down on our family for acting or doing certain things, not realizing that we act and do some of the same things. Awareness is the first step in making a change. It allows us to truly understand the moralities of the subject matter. Take these commonly used quotes for example, “man, they’re working us like a bunch of Mexicans/Hebrew slaves” or “you Indian giver.” Everyone general gets the gist of what is being explained; however these quotes are derogatory. In hearing your parents, family members, and friends make certain comments, it is only natural to pick up on some of the things they have stated without really understanding what it truly means. This is when taking an active role in the comments you make comes into play. You not only have to understand what is being said; however you also have to make a conscious effort not to display hatred toward other people by making certain comments.

My first experience with hatred was when I was in undergraduate school. I was working for a well-known restaurant. It was morning time and some of our regular customers were in the restaurant for a cup of coffee and a morning snack. Two customers approached me for a refill on their coffee. One of the individuals was acting in an inappropriate manner, which made his friend comment on his behavior. His friend stated “man, stop acting like an idiot. I’m pretty sure she has enough of those in her family.” My first reaction was “wow. How could this man make this statement without knowing me or my family?” The incident was a little unnerving to me, how society could think in that manner. To me, his statement displayed many negative interactions I encountered prior to and after his statement. See, I had always been a happy individual because that was how I was raised.  Sometimes I tend to wonder, is it ok to be happy?  I ask this because I am often asked, “why are you so happy?”  My question is, “why not?”  Why not discontinue the hatred toward others and learn to deal with my emotions in a professional manner.  I’ve learned that hatred usually comes from a lack of understanding.  If you are not willing to understand the situation or culture, you are also unwilling to open yourself up to the many possibilities of life.

Hatred is still prevalent in today’s society. It consumes people’s emotions, discontinues the process of growth and development, and just turns this world into something that it was not intended to be. The following signs will assist you with identifying some characteristics of hatred or dislike for a person or group.

1. Lack of eye contact
2. Avoidance
3. Nasty stares
4. No response
5. Inappropriate slurs
6. Excluding individuals from conversations

While the information above does not exhibit all of the characteristics of hatred, it does exhibit some common behaviors. Next time you utilize a commonly used statement from your upbringing, make sure the statement does not discredit or slander other people’s culture or way of life.

~Think before you speak

No comments:

Post a Comment