Saturday, July 7, 2012

How Do You Determine Who Will Be Successful?

Do you think determining who will be successful in life is as easy as looking at a newborn baby and seeing a certain gleam in his/her eye?  Let’s all take a mental field trip to the maternity ward at a hospital and suggest who we think will be successful in life.  What do you think our probability of success will be?  What do you think our probability of failure will be?

Many notable people, such as Plato, Aristotle, Machiavelli, and St. Paul, have tried to determine what makes some people more successful than others.  Take for example:

I believe that a person’s ability to understand and apply the lessons they have learned will make them very successful.  Many times, we are provided with lessons that we must understand on our own.  Sometimes, we will see the same thing others see, but detract different lessons from what we saw.  This does not make any of our assumptions incorrect.  It just provides many perspectives on what has taken place.

The progression toward helping someone become successful should start at a very young age.  I would say as early as two years old.  Children start picking up on things around this age.  Now, helping them become successful does not mean to live your childhood dreams through them.  Helping them become successful just means to find out things that they really like to do and help them reach their goals.  Take my nieces for example.  These young ladies are nine and eleven years old.  The nine year old would like to become an actress and the eleven year old would like to become a professional dancer.  My family believes in encouraging them and providing them with the necessary tools to help their dreams come true.  Encouragement is done by conversations, participating in like events, and my latest gift to them: a vision board.  Recently, I gave them a vision board with the task of decorating the board and placing their dreams and aspirations on it.  I told them to place the board somewhere that they will see it every day, so they can start living in their passion.  The nine year old asked me for some ideas to help her make a vision board.  I gave her another task, which will help her on the road to success: I told her to look up some ideas on the computer.  I truly believe that success comes with self-direction and should be started at an early age.  My mother did the same thing with me.  When I was around 10 years old and wanted to know what a word meant, she told me to look it up.  This is the very reason why I continue to research questions that I may have about life, words, and human interactions. 
Success is truly determined by the individual by setting goals.  A good way to do this is to attach a time line to your goals.  Tell yourself, I want to sign up for dancing or acting classes by the time I am 16 years old or I want to have authored five books by the time I am 30.  The timeline will allow you to focus on what you need to do and when you need to do it.

~Don’t let people determine whether or not you will be successful.  Start defining your own opportunity.


No comments:

Post a Comment