Thursday, March 1, 2012

Being Successful and Reaching Your Goals

About five years ago, I was at the age that I started to reflect on my life and my accomplishments. You know that age where you start putting your life into perspective and start identifying whether or not you are reaching the goals you set for yourself? The age that I state usually occurs at age 25. Well, that was my exact age. My thoughts focused on obtaining a Master’s Degree, writing, performing poetry, and publishing a couple of books. I ultimately knew that when I set my sites on accomplishing things, they definitely would come true because I was dedicated to my purpose and succeeding. Even if my projected timeline was not accurate, I made sure to adjust the time I allowed myself to complete a particular goal. A good example of this is when I completed my graduate degree. Initially, I gave myself two years to complete the program. After adding certificates to my degree and making the necessary changes for me to be successful, I had to readjust the completion time to four years, instead of two.

My overall objective for my life was to complete my graduate program, publish two books, and make my name a household name by the time I was 30 years old. Well, how do you think I am doing? All I can say is I have made strategic strides for myself in accomplishing my goals. I obtained my Master’s at 29, attended and participated in numerous book festivals and events, rekindled my creative ability to design and interpret things, and will have published four books by the time I reach 30. The books in which I have published deals with relationships and domestic violence, poetry, and a children’s book. All of which are interests of mine.

So, what can I say to you about being successful and reaching your goals? You have to give life your all.  Success never comes to those who wait for it. Success comes to those who work hard, are patient, and knows what defeat feels like. Sometime in life, we have all felt the feeling of being defeated at something we loved to do or wanted to learn to do.  Do you think the Michael Jordan gave up when he shot an air ball? How about Tyler Perry? Do you think he gave up when he was homeless and living in his car?  Not at all! Michael and Tyler let the feeling of defeat serve as a lesson to not feel that way again. And if they did happen to feel that way again, they knew just what to do to change their circumstances. That is exactly what I want you to do. I want you to not let defeat keep you positioned on the ground. I want you to get up, look defeat in the face, and say no more.

The truth to following steps in being successful is that we all define our own steps. Life is different for everyone, so one thing that worked for one person may very well work or not work for another person. It is ok to repeat what has been done before; however when all else fail, go with what you know or what feels right.

~Start defining your own success and opportunities






No comments:

Post a Comment